THE POWER OF 7
The future is not some place we are going to, but one we are creating. The paths to it are not found but made, and the activity of making them, changes both the maker and the destination.’
– Peter Ellyard
The power of 7 is qualities SIS believes are essential for the success of each individual. At SIS the curriculum and events have been customized to ensure that students become habituated to following these essential values. Stressing on the power of 7, we ensure that student’s achieve excellence in all aspects of life.
Self Mastery And Accountability
Self-mastery ensures that one has clarity and focus. It outlines what is important to an individual and ranks it according to personal and professional priority. It allows one to make plans and work towards achieving them to be able to manifest one’s aspirations. As a leader, it is important to be able to give direction to oneself and one’s team. Well-developed self-mastery allows a person to be authentic, courageous, confident and passionate.
Accountability is like rain—everyone knows they need it, but no one wants to get wet. However SIS holds special importance for this trait. Accountability is not about simply taking responsibility for your actions but about rising above excuses. It allows you to make mistakes and learn from them. It allows one to walk the path of continual improvement and gradually raise their own standards of achievement.
Attaining clarity on one’s short term and long term goals and creating disciplined methods to achieve them. Being morally accountable for one’s actions and decisions, and ensuring that one has a trustworthy and dependable character.
- Thinks about what he desires from life
- Willing to accept challenges
- Tackles whatever is in front of him/her
- Takes initiative to create results
- Learns from mistakes and failures
- Does not flow with the tide
- Does not shy away from commitments
- Does not procrastinate
- Does not expect others to act on his behalf
- Does not come up with excuses or blame others
Success is not defined by the name and fame earned but by the path a person follows, the morals and values one stands by. Making ethical choices is not always as easy, yet of utmost importance as a leader. It is important to analyze the situation and understand the most ethical solution. Resilience allows one to take charge of one’s life and team and work towards achieving those goals in an ethical and value based manner. This ensures that we are creating more responsible citizens for tomorrow.
To have the ability to stand up and take charge of one’s life and achieve one’s goals in an ethical manner. Moreover to take initiative during tough situations and emerge as a leader.
- Works with passion and purpose
- Enjoys the work and the workplace along with life’s challenges
- Learns they self managed and self motivated initiatives and actions
- Has the ability to question the established without offending
- Is ethical in his approach during easy as well as tough times
- Does not have to be driven
- Does not get intimidated or depressed by
Challenges or hard work
- Does not have to be spoon fed
- Does not accept anything without
Reasoning and experiencing
- Never compromises the values
The future is always undetermined, adverse changes are constantly taking place around us and for survival and excellence one must adapt to these changing times. However as creatures controlled by the mind, we tend to fear change. This fear limits our abilities to perform. However at SIS we prepare students to overcome this fear. At SIS we develop a “Never say Die” Attitude, which is what enables our students to examine, enhance and utilize their strengths, characteristics and other resources available to them
Overcoming each obstacle allows one to grow stronger as an individual and become an ideal leader during difficult times.
To maintain constructive and composed focus while facing tough situations in life and overcoming these obstacles confidently.
- Demonstrates emotional control and
Composure, even under stress
- Demonstrates courage by facing the
- Focuses on doing what he can easily do
- Continues to work on problems, even
When facing dysfunctional behavior by
- Focuses on taking the next logical step
- Avoids counter productive behavior when
Confronted with frustration and crisis
- Does not try to escape the situation or take
The easy way out
- Does not focus on what he cannot do
- Does not insult people when under stress
- Does not wait for a perfect solution
Effective Decision Making
Choices are placed in front of us every moment of the day, some smaller than the others. However choosing the correct course of action in accordance to our environment and other situations is an essential skill not only for leaders, but for every individual who wants to succeed. Decisions are made through intuitiveness and reasoning, a balance between the two is highly essential for making effective decisions.
The ability to make decisions on one’s own accord allows a person to think and freely make mistakes and correct them.
To make timely, effective and practical decisions and facilitates others in doing the same.
- Asks questions and collects information to
Get an accurate understanding of possible
- Looks at the problem, alternatives
Available and chooses best alternative
- Makes decisions that impacts the entire
- Appropriately involves others in decision
- Focuses on taking the next logical step
- Does not make a blinded decision (without
- Does not get paralyzed by risk of failure
- Does not take decision only for selfish
- Is not afraid of working with different
Empathetic people are skilled in placing themselves in the shoes of other people and seeing their perspective. It is one of the main components of emotional intelligence. Developing positive interpersonal relations requires empathy skills like listening to others, understanding verbal and non-verbal cues and appreciating the differences in others and their beliefs. Developing these skills allows one to deliver satisfaction in all relationships and have pleasurable and effective interactions.
To develop an attitude of deference, admiration, regard and esteem other people, irrespective of their education, profession, income or caste. Hence ensuring the development of an equalitarian perspective towards the world.
- Demonstrates humility towards others
- Shows interest in other people’s
Profession and problems
- Contributes willingly to others’ causes
- Appreciates everyone’s contribution
Towards his life and achievement
- Appreciates others point of view, even
When in disagreement
- Does not try to put others down
- Does not stay aloof from people
- Does not try to score at cost of others
- Does not feel threatened by others
- Does not disrespect others’ opinion
Gratitude shifts your focus from what your life lacks to the abundance that is already present. Research has shown that an attitude of gratitude makes people more positive and resilient. Additionally it strengthens relationships, allowing people to build stronger bonds. It has also resulted in higher levels of alertness, enthusiasm and determination. All qualities required to excel. Moreover gratitude goes beyond searching for the small things in life but to constantly look for the good in unpleasant situations, making such situations more endurable. Being grateful allows one to see the bigger picture and gives one vision, aiding them in making greater progress towards their personal goals.
To learn the art and value of being grateful for all that one gets from life and continuously seeks to positively influence other people’s life, through gestures of kindness.
- Focuses on what he has got from life and
- Goes out of his way to help others
- Fulfills his obligations and duties
Cheerfully and enthusiastically
- Does not focus on what he did not get or
Could not achieve
- Is not self seeking or manipulative
- Does not try to escape from
Mishaps are always taking place, what makes the difference is how one addresses and endures these hardships. Success is correlated with optimism. Optimism is important for accomplishing goals, as it is the foundation of courage, confidence and true progress. Having a positive outlook outlines hope and ensures that one is not brought down by criticism. Having a positive outlook ensures that you determination doesn’t deter, and obstacles are destroyed as and when they arise. Optimism is associated with a winner’s attitude, because winners have embraced failure and raised above it. They don’t determine their rewards based on what happens to them, but how they perceive these events.
To learn to divert one’s focus on the positive aspects of life rather than the negative. To work with one’s dream, aspirations and hopes and keep oneself motivated by them.
- Focuses on what he can do in any Situation
- Focuses on what he can do
- Focuses on what he knows
- Uses what he has so as to get full benefit Of it
- Focuses on the opportunity
- Focuses on what he can do for others
- Does not ever focus on what he cannot do
- Does not focus on what other should do
- Does not focus on what he doesn’t know
- Does not crib or feel frustrated about what He doesn’t have or cannot get
- Does not focus on threats
- Does not focus on what others can do for him