Method 1 : Basic Placemat
4. Place the long strips horizontally and weave the short strips vertically.
- Glue or tape the ends of horizontal strips to one of the vertical strips, alternating top and bottom attachments.
- Weave the remaining vertical strips, securing their ends to the top and bottom horizontal strips.
5. Trim the edges. Alternately, you can cut the strips a bit long to start with, and leave the ends sticking out a bit, on purpose.
6. Laminate if desired. You can cover this project with clear contact paper to protect it for longer use, whether or not you mat it.
Method 2 : Fancy Placemat
1. Review the steps presented in Method One to be sure you are familiar with how to weave a placemat.
2. Weave your placemat following the instructions in Method One.
3. Decorate your placemat with craft supplies : Add glitter, stickers, drawings, or cut outs from magazines to create a collage.
4. Laminate your placemat.
Method 3 : Create Your Own Chessboard
1. To create a chess board, choose two colors (light and dark choices are suggested for contrast) of construction paper or heavier material like felt or cardboard.
2. Cut 8 strips of the light colored material where all the strips are 2 1/2 inches by 18 1/2 inches long.
3. Repeat the cutting process for the dark colored material, creating the same number of strips with the same dimensions.
4. Place the dark colored strips in a row, lining up the edges.
5. Weave the strips as described in Method One.